Thursday, December 24, 2009

I need your best recipes that stretch meat to the fullest...please?

I have : almost 3lbs of ground beef


under 3lbs chicken


that needs to last us through Friday.





I also have venison sausage that is majorly dried out (doesn't last long in the freezer, we found out), so if you have tips to 'rehydrate this' or other ideas


PLEASE pass them along.





So far I'm looking at a lot of casseroles with a little meat.I need your best recipes that stretch meat to the fullest...please?
I like Tator Tot Casserole for ground beef bc it stretches a long way. Just brown 1 lb of ground beef, put in casserole dish, top with thawed tater tots, take 1 can cream of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 c milk and pour over top of entire casserole. Bake about 375 or so for about 30 mins give or take, top with cheddar cheese, bake just until cheese is melted. ( I like to add cheese between the tatertots and meat too just bc we love lots of cheese).





You can always make a vegetable beef soup. Take 1lb ground beef cooked, 1 bag mixed veggies of your choice, 1 huge can or bottle of whatever flavor V8 juice you like, a few beef boulioun cubes (about 2-3) and 1 packet of onion soup mix. Toss all in crock pot, eat whenever. Very yummy with grilled cheese.





Those are some of my favorites that we use around the house (especially lateley since money is low). Here is a website I found very useful in teaching me how to make homemade things, and it is very frugal. I hope it helps! http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/recipe鈥?/a>I need your best recipes that stretch meat to the fullest...please?
For the venison, you could try a long-cooking stew or something in the crockpot. Maybe like gumbo or jambalaya? And that would be great with biscuits made from the bisquik.





Now, I don't know how many people you're cooking for, but all that meat could feed us for 10 days at least. The secret is to use less meat than the recipe calls for. Months ago when prices started rising, I'd start putting only 12 oz. of hamburger in a meal when it called for one pound. Then I cut it to 10, and now 8 oz. Even my meat-loving husband doesn't miss it in a casserole or Hamburger Helper. Cook the chicken, but don't let anyone eat a whole slab of it. Instead, pick it and dice it. Same reasoning as the burger portioning. With that you could make any casserole or pot pies. Then boil the bones and make stock and you can make a hearty soup the next day.





You're totally set for the coming week.
Spaghetti,Beef and Macaroni,Beefy vegetable soup(add any vegetables you have and a can of tomatoes and season well), chicken noodle soup, Chicken Casserole,(chicken,can of cream of chicken soup, egg noodles).

No comments:

Post a Comment